During the holy month of Ramadan, it is customary for Muslims to break their fast with dates. The reason that dates are an ideal and healthy choice is because they are high in natural sugar, fibre and essential nutrients such as magnesium and potassium.
This is why dates are such a valuable ingredient for kids’ snacks too, and there is no better way to enjoy them than in these scrumptious easy to make flapjacks.
Here’s what you’ll need:
225g dried dates (destoned and chopped)
175g butter, softened
3 tbsp honey or Golden Syrup
1.5 tbsp orange juice
1.5 tsp cinnamon or mixed spice
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees (350F)
2. Gently warm the dates and orange juice in a saucepan for a few minutes until
the dates are soft and you are able to mash them with a fork.
3. In another large bowl, whisk together the softened butter, sugar and honey/ syrup.
4. Add the oats and cinnamon / mixed spice and mix everything together evenly.
5. Line an 8-10 inch baking tin and spoon in half of the oats mixture and pat down with a large spoon.
6. Add the dates and again pat down firmly.
7. Spoon in the remaining oats mixture and firm it down smoothly.
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
9. Once cooked, cut into square pieces and leave to cool on a wire rack.
These tasty treats can be stored for up to 3 days in an airtight container. You can also experiment with adding extras like sunflower or pumpkin seeds if you wish!