Cooking with children offers so many opportunities for real world learning; they explore measurement, safety, recipes and following instructions. This Rainbow Parfait is a super fun and easy recipe to make with your children; it’s healthy, it’s refreshing on a hot day and it’s a perfect opportunity to introduce new fruits. It also doesn’t involve any cooking with heat – so a perfect starter recipe.
– Greek Yoghurt
– some red fruit (I like strawberries)
– blue fruit (blue berry)
– yellow fruit (banana)
– green fruit (kiwi or grapes)
– orange fruit – (passionfruit or mango)
- Tall clear glasses
- Chopping board
- Child friendly knife (e.g. My Safe Cutter or a Butter Knife)
- Chat with your child and check you have a different fruit for every colour in the rainbow (talk about the importance of eating a rainbow).
- Cut up the fruit into small cubes
- Put one spoon of yoghurt into the bottom of the glass
- Add one coloured fruit layer
- Add another spoon of yoghurt
- Add a different coloured fruit layer
- Continue adding a spoon of yoghurt and then a layer of fruit until the glass is full
- Enjoy your rainbow layered treat
Consider asking your child to make Rainbow Parfaits together with you for a special event or guest – this shows them that you value and appreciate their effort and that you support making healthy choices.