As you get out of “summer mode” and into “school mode”, you might drift toward unhealthy snacks. Maybe because they’re easier or faster. But there are plenty of healthy options for your child’s lunch box. So, here are some lunch box snacks that are easy, quick, and healthy.
Some of my favorite lunch box snacks:
1| Veggie Sticks with Dip (Hummus is my Go-To)
Cut up some celery, carrot, cucumber or capsicum (or buy them pre-cut) and add a little pot of dip for a healthy snack during the day. They are also delicious for lunch box snacks.
2| Organix – Goodies Fruit Moos Raspberry & Apple
These are so delicious that you’ll want to take some with you to work as well! They are organic, healthy, and so tasty. They are great as lunch box snacks too.
3| Homemade Fruit Muffins
I particularly love these because it’s something easy that you can bake together on the weekend and then use during the week. Change the fruit and flavour each week to keep them interesting.
4| Cheese and Crackers
This is an easy way to add some extra dairy into your child’s day. Slice up some healthy cheese and add some rice crackers for a tasty snack.
5| Roo’Bar Strawberry 4Ever
A quick and ready snack. This power bar is made of raw cashew, dates, bananas, and strawberries. A great power boost throughout the day.
6| Rice cakes with Vegemite
Vegemite is beloved by the Aussies out there but you can also use any other spread. These are filling for little tummies and easy to prepare (not to mention, they take hardly any time to make).
7| Trail Mix
Pick and choose different options and make your trail mix with your child, they will enjoy the satisfaction of having made it with you, and you will enjoy the satisfaction of knowing they have healthy snacks each day. My favourite mix includes; sultanas, dates, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, toasted oats, dried cranberries, some whole meal cereal and some flaxseeds.
8. Roasted Chickpeas
I have saved the best snack for last, these are a crunchy, filling and tasty snack that your child will be begging for daily. I have put my favorite recipe below for you to try.
– 2 cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
– 2 tablespoon coconut oil melted (or vegetable oil)
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1 teaspoon minced garlic
– 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Drain the beans and rinse them well. Lay them on paper towels to dry for about 30 minutes (I always do this the night before)
2. Preheat oven to 200*C.
3. In a bowl, mix 1 tablespoon of oil and add chickpeas to coat.
4. Add salt, garlic, and cheese and stir well to coat.
5. Spread the chickpeas over a baking sheet and drizzle with remaining tablespoon of oil.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, flip (this is usually more of a stir around the baking tray) and continue to bake for up to an hour or until golden and crispy. Each oven is a bit different, but after another 25 minutes, they are usually perfect.
Other articles you might be interested in:
Best Healthy Snacks for Lunch Boxes and Kids on the Go!