If you take a look at any international school, you’ll most likely come across the acronym STEM (or a variant of this). It has become a huge trend in education in the last few years and it’s easy to understand why – once you know what it’s all about.
So here is my ‘what is STEM?’ Guide:
– STEM is an integrated approach to learning science (S), technology (T), engineering (E) and mathematics (M)
– It is a cohesive learning paradigm based on real-world applications
– STEM is all about problem-solving, independent thinking, digital literacy, creativity, and initiative.
– STEM is all about linking the learning of science, technology, and maths with everyday real life
– STEM enables learners to identify, apply and integrate key ideas and processes from science, technology, engineering, and mathematics to understand complex problems and offer innovative solutions
– The skills being learnt through STEM are paramount for the jobs of the future and the lives that children will live as adults
– Around 75% of jobs require some sort of qualification that has STEM within it.
– Encourage your child’s participation in any STEM learning offered by your child’s school or outside organisations – it is really valuable!
You can also encourage STEM-based learning in your home with resources like:
Enjoy the new challenges and adventures that STEM creates for your child.
Other articles you might be interested in: