It is generally advised that you have your bags packed and ready at least 3-4 weeks before your due date, and certainly by 36 weeks. In addition, when giving birth in the UAE, it is vital that you have ready your marriage certificate, insurance card plus your Emirates ID, all ready to be presented at the hospital.
Here is a comprehensive checklist of items that you may wish to consider when preparing your hospital bag
What should I pack for my newborn?
Here’s a checklist for the essentials your new baby needs:
- – Nappies (hospitals will often provide these if needed but do check).
- – Cotton Wool (again these are likely to be provided).
- – Muslins.
- – Short sleeved baby grows (about 8-10 should suffice for a few days’ stay).
- – Long sleeved / long bottomed sleepsuits (again 8-10 should suffice).
- – Hats and swaddles.
- – Going home outfit.
- – Blanket.
- – Car seat (for when baby is discharged)
What should you pack for yourself?
The rush of getting into labor can be very overwhelming, you might even forget your own stuff, that is why we recommend preparing your bag and packing these essentials:
- – Pajamas / Nightdress (something with buttons is handy for when breastfeeding).
- – Clothes for labour (whatever you are comfortable in – although do note hospitals will provide a gown too).
- – Comfortable clothes for after the birth (avoid anything with a tight waistband if you have a c-section).
- – Underwear (including disposable knickers).
- – Maternity sanitary pads.
- – Breast pads.
- – Toiletries.
- – Nursing bra.
- – Snacks.
- – Books/ tablet and music.
- – Camera to capture those all-important first precious moments.
- – Phone and charger.
- – Flip flops or slippers.
- – Extra pillow for comfort.
- – Documents (ID, marriage certificate, Insurance etc).
Should the dad pack too?
Well, of course! Dads have a great role to play in this experience. Not only should they pack the following:
- – Change of clothes.
- – Snacks.
- – Phone charger.
But they also should help out with taking care of the baby and help you. Fathers can really help new mums cope easily. This experience is going to be so joyful, so plan right to welcome a little angel into your life!